"NO" is not Abuse.
If there isn’t a “NO” in your conversation with your badly misbehaved dog, then you are reinforcing whatever behavior she is currently exhibiting. Ignoring the bad behavior is equivalent to verbal praise and reward. “NO” provides clarity when met with a significant enough correction to stop the behavior from occurring again. Ignoring bad behavior, hoping that it will go away on it’s own, or your dog will eventually grow out of it, is allowance. If your dog chews your underwear, your shoes, your socks, the couch, it’s because you allowed it. If she lunges at people or other dogs, you allowed it. If she runs away from you when called, you allowed it. If she charges the door, or just snagged your sandwich from the table, you allowed it. Providing a correction is not abuse. It is clear information your dog needs to perform at her highest level. Without the “No’s” there will always be something missing from the learning equation. Teaching your dog 95% of the time to do what we want, and providing a clear enough consequence for what we don’t the other 5% of the time, helps your dog navigate the world more safely. A dog that is allowed to do whatever it is she feels in the moment, in the absence of consequences, is a dog that will eventually rule your roost, acting on impulse alone. Dogs need order and structure. Without it, you can guarantee chaos. “No’s” are a necessary ingredient for establishing respect. When you create a relationship based in leadership, structure, and accountability, your dog will become more comfortable, and his behavior will change instantly.